Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Finding peace in December

Day 91

Yesterday, Sally my flop eared smiler and I went for walk/run at dusk.  I remembered as I walked to smile and look up.  There really is much to be grateful for this season.  For me, December has typically been a time of regret and pressing.  I would find myself disappointed in my year, thinking I should have done more, been more, accomplished more, made more...more-more-more!  I would rush around trying to buy gifts to send to family, decorate, shop, wrap and bake in a season of quiet.

It might be my practice, it might be I'm another year older and perhaps wiser.  I don't know.  I do know this year I feel at ease.  I have found a love of this time of year that had eluded me in the past.  My house isn't decorated, my presents aren't all wrapped and sent, my cards not completed and my house isn't that clean.  And yet- and this is a drum roll moment- and yet I am surprisingly content and happy.

As Sally and I crested a hill yesterday we looked out into the sound and had to pause.   The sun was setting, pink was painted across the sky with blue, white and gray in wide strokes.  We stopped.  We paused, looked and listened.  The noise of my walking, my arms brushing up against my sides, our foot steps, breathing, my busy brain all came to a pause.  The quiet was so loud!  I heard birds and peace.  It is hard to put words to this feeling of quiet.  All I can really offer is a suggestion.

In this season of more, go outside and walk until you find a place of beauty.  And then pause.  Do nothing but stand perfectly still and absorb the moment.  If you are looking for peace on earth you don't have to go far.

Wishing you a season of peace, contentment and the inner wisdom to know when to pause,
        Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment