Friday, July 31, 2009

Smashed sandwich

Day 364 of 1000,

This is the beginning of a smashed sandwich. My mom and I made it while visiting my grandparents in AZ. We stacked, wrapped and then smashed with two 2 foot concrete pavers, my uncle found out by the shed.

For 1.5 hours the sandwich slowly lowered its defenses and became what I now call a smashed sandwich. Why and I telling you this? I have no idea except I just sent a copy of the recipe to a friend of my who is having a get together. It's a good sandwich for a party.

Original recipe: Pan Bagnat
I renamed the recipe. I like the name smashed sandwich better.

Cookbook: Moosewood Restaurant cooks at home, from the Moosewood collective. Page 266


Happy travels,
Denise

As an interesting note, the recipe recommends using bricks in baking dishes, a 25 lb wt or a toddler to smash the sandwich. We don't know of any toddler who could or would sit still for 1-3 hours while the sandwich smashes. We went with the concrete pavers- they don't wiggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment