Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The great yam experiment




Day 432 of 1000,
The days tick by. Visiting family, driving, vertigo, pulling weeds, working, visitors stop by, football season starts, the leaves change, grocery shopping, paying bills, making a new dish - no matter what is going on- the days tick by. Today is day 432.
Above you will find a couple pictures of yams. Last spring I started a water experiment. Putting yams in glasses of water to see what would happen with different qualities of water- sprouts and roots pop out, plants emerge. I decide to plant these tender plants in my back rock garden. Over the summer I watched the vines grow, little purple trumpet like flowers popped out the end of August. All summer I wondered what was growing if anything below the surface. Sunday night I dug up my little experiment. The yams were little and skinny-deeper than expected. I must have harvested around 30 yams. We roasted baby yams for dinner with company. They were tender and full of flavor.
Perhaps my yam experiment parallels my 1000 day journey. I started with one experiment which lead to another and then another. During this journey I have no way of knowing what grows below the surface. At the harvest I could have a little crop of yams, maybe something else.
Happy travels,
Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment