Friday, October 9, 2009

I love a man that can smile in trouble

Day 435,
Today I mailed out accounts receivables notices, to past due accounts. In 19 years of being in business, this unheard of for our company. Somehow after all this time, sending out such a letter was an afterthought because it was so rare. This morning I sent out 3 letters plus had to hunt down a contractor that hired us. I didn't really like the way I felt and wondered how I would act if our finances were in trouble.
I thought of my grandpa's: Grandpa Alton and Grandpa Biddie. Both saw through 90 plus years of triumphs and tragedies. Grandpa Alton passed away last year. Grandpa Biddie is still going strong. This is one of his favorite poems he used to recite.

The harder the conflict the more glorious the triumph.
What we obtain too cheep, we esteem too lightly.
It is dearness only that gives everything its value.
I love a man that can smile in trouble,
That can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection.
Tis the business of little minds to shrink.
But he whose heart is firm and whose conscience approves his conduct
will pursue his principles unto death.

Thomas Pain

I hope we are never tested to our limits but I like the idea of smiling in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment