Monday, October 26, 2009

Treating Yourself to Nothing Much

Day 451

   Yesterday, I took the whole day off. I did read about worms-the whole book, watched football, ate - basically did nothing. By evening my VOJ-voice of judgment, was starting to act up. A little guilt sneaking in, my to do list for this week making noise. Most of the day was heavenly, just me and my husband talking, laughing, snacking and watching our Dallas Cowboys win over the Falcons.

   It's funny how we don't value play or down time, especially as women we arn't always taught to just be. About the only time we feel justified in just being and treating ourselves to a fun day is when we are sick or stranded somewhere. My step mom spent most of Sunday stranded in the airport on her way home to visit her family. I think it was probably more of a gift than a frustration.

Do we have to get sick to take time to just be? If I'm going to just be I would much rather do it in health than stuck in a bed.  Learning to value our quiet time, to listen to our yearnings, to go play for no reason except it is fun, these are habits worth exploring.  On paper it sounds easy enough, in reality we are afraid to take time for nothing much. 

   Happy Travels,
        Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment