Friday, June 19, 2009

The best part of Friday's

Day 322, June 19, 2009

It's 9:24pm on Friday night. My house is clean! My cleaning day used to be on Mondays. I hated Mondays. I don't mind cleaning so much as my Mondays always felt rushed. It was as if I started each week behind. There is always lots of details, paperwork, calls, finances and organizing needing done on Mondays. I would try to cram cleaning the house in somewhere.
For a long time I tried cleaning on Saturdays. On Saturdays, I didn't want to be in the house cleaning! It was as simple as that. When I was a kid on the farm, Saturdays were cleaning day. I had to stay inside and help my mom clean. My brothers got to go build fence or something fun. As an adult, that feeling of missing something still lingers. Saturdays are also a prime day to travel, to work, to do stuff. Saturday, me and cleaning don't go well. (I do realize my brothers probably weren't that crazy about Saturday's and building fence either-kind of a grass is always greener thing.)
Sundays are only in case of an emergency. I have absolutely no desire to clean on Sundays!
Here is how my week would go: I'll clean on Saturdays -Saturdays came and went. Sundays I just refused. Mondays would come and like I mentioned earlier, I was already behind and often it just wasn't going to happen. So even though I spent a lot of time thinking of cleaning, I did not clean as consistently as I like. The week revolved around trying to make room for cleaning.
Last week I discovered Fridays!!!! Big joyful sigh of relief. Not only do I not feel behind. I feel ahead. My weekend is free of the nagging- gotta clean thoughts. Our home feels good for the weekend and on Monday I can do what is most important.
Today, I was out of my home/office all day. When I got back to the office from work, I didn't have the energy to jump into cleaning. I took a couple of hours: I puttered, I read, I walked both dogs, I visited with family. At 7:23 pm I decided to clean. It took me two hours- 45 minutes of which was organizing and straighting up- to clean my house. Now at 9:36 pm my home clean and ready to begin the weekend. I feel very good about my Friday cleaning.
Happy travels,
Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment